Tuesday, April 12, 2011

50th Anniversary of the First Human Space Flight

Photobucket
It's no secret that I love space and all things space related. I've always been hugely influenced by sci fi movies of the 40s, 50s and 60s. Since today is the 50th anniversary of the first human space flight, I'm going to share some of my favorite space age inspired items.

Photobucket
This frosted glass coffee table from Meijer.com looks like it should be in a space station cocktail bar. It's a great price too!

Photobucket
Tacchini Moon Chairs are the preferred seating in my dream spaceship. I can't even look at these chairs without hearing sci-fi theremin music play in my head.

Photobucket
This yellow Overman sofa will be all the rage in outerspace.

Photobucket
No spaceship is complete without some Astronaut Ice Cream! Yummy! However, the Beef Stew Space Dinner sounds somewhat questionable .

Photobucket
I am in love with this Planet and Stars Pendant Chandelier. It's on my wishlist for my ultimate gaming room that I have planned. When the light is turned on, it shines different colored stars and planets around the room from the little circles. How cool is that?

Photobucket
I love the collection of rocket ships they have on Retrojunk. I someday plan to buy one of each to have scattered around my house.

Photobucket
Yet another item on my wishlist -Mr. Robot Pillows! These pillows are unbelievably cute. I love retro robots and these pillows will add a bit of awesome to a space inspired room.

Photobucket
Thank you Aimée Wilder! This is the first ever wallpaper I have fallen in love with. It's hands down the coolest, funkiest wallpaper I have ever seen, and I want to spread it all over a Robot-licious accent wall.

Photobucket
We must always remember that space can be a very dangerous place. This fantastic Red Shirt Poster can help remind you!

Photobucket
Ground Control to Major Tom! A vintage print of the Control Cabin of a Space Rocket - awesome!

Photobucket
Another vintage print from allposters.com - Building Rocket Ship, 1948

Photobucket
Atomic50s on Zazzle has some cute prints available on t-shirts and tote bags to get you feeling atomic in no time!

Photobucket
Enterprise Pizza Cutter - a kitchen essential. As a young adult, I consume massive quantities of pizza so I need a stellar utensil to help me with this task.



We finally found a clock and lamp that I feel fit in with the plan I have for our new living room. I also saw a coffee table on Craigslist this morning that is really cool and funky for a price we like. I'm just worried it's going to be a little big for the living room at 51''. Pictures to come later in the week.
I have decided to fill my new retro pot with a spider plant. My mother-in-law and husband drove around on Saturday looking for one with no luck. No place around here carries them because I guess they are not that popular or maybe because most people who want them could get them for little or no cost from friends. Unfortunately I do not have any friends who grow house plants and my mother thew away her spider plants from the 70s around the time I was five. Grr! Maybe I will have some luck posting for spider plant cuttings in the wanted section of craigslist.
My husband works at a small independent non-profit educational video game company doing web development. I know my layout on blogger looks like crap right now, but bear with me until I can get him to make a wide layout for my blog. Not that anybody is even reading this at this point.
The next few years need to be crunch time. My husband and I are some of the few young people left in a dying city. All of our friends have already found jobs in other states and have left. Since we are low on money, we were slow at working toward our degrees with the price of tuition being what it is. I can hardly stand to drive through town because it's so empty, dilapidated and sad. K will be finishing his associates degree around the summer of '12 and then we'll be looking at schools in states and cities that have a high volume of tech jobs. Ideally K will be working in the video game industry still, but at this point we'd just like to make enough to get by and be happy. I want to move someplace with sunny blue skies. I'm so tired of the lonely grey I'm used to seeing.


2 comments:

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

Hey, thanks for becoming a follower on my blog! Love those planters you found recently. Did you find a spider plant yet? I have a gazillion of them in my yard. If you can't find one locally let me know and I'll mail you a couple!

R. said...

Thank you so much for your offer! Luckily I was able to find a nursery that would order me one. It should be here in June!

Post a Comment