Saturday, May 7, 2011

House Plans #1 - "Underground Delight"

This summer I will be sharing some of my favorite house plans that I've found around the web starting with one of my favorites - The Underground Delight.


Photobucket

From the website - "This three bedroom, underground masterpiece is designed to fight the high cost of living through its many energy-saving features, including the use of passive solar energy. The large master bedroom on one end shows an abundance of closets. Each of the three bedrooms has sliding glass doors to the front lawn. Also featured in this area is a multi-purpose room, easily converted to individual use, graciously separated from the entry by ornately carved wood room dividers. This calls for 2 baths, one delightfully designed with a whirlpool. The family room opens to a greenhouse via sliding glass doors. A two-car garage completes this home."

Photobucket

Reasons I love this house -
There seems to be a perfect fusion of modern and natural elements. It's as if the earth is eating the house, reclaiming the space for nature. It reminds me of the ending of Planet of The Apes.
I love the way the bedrooms open outside. The cat and dog would go crazy with that many glass doors and they would probably want to be let in and out all day long. I would want a nice patio running the length of the front with tons of big square planters between each set of sliding doors. The greenhouse is fabulous. I would finally have a place to keep all the plants I want to grow.
Plus I think it's awesome that the designer of the house refers to the mud room as the air-lock. We refer to our mudroom as the air-lock as well. Whenever our cat wants to be "spaced" we have to throw her out the "air-lock".
Photobucket

What I would change-
I would turn the first bedroom into an office/craft room and the sewing room would be the gaming room. I would get rid of the closets in the master bedroom and add a door from the bathroom to make it en-suite. The family room would probably be used as the formal dining area. Two garages is one too many, since I don't drive anymore. I plan to ditch my old broken car for a nice light blue Vespa once we move someplace warmer. An extra wide one car garage would do just fine.
I would also plant a field of sunflowers on top! Too much? Yeah I thought so too. Scratch the sunflowers. I'll add Don Featherstone Pink Flamingos instead.
Photobucket



0 comments:

Post a Comment